Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cutting complete

Bookmark and Share

I've finished all the scroll sawing on the Left Coast Eisteddfod spoon Mark II and it is shaping up really nicely! The top section looks much more elegant now the excess wood has been removed and it's given me a clearer idea of what Laura and I have to work with (and against). Unfortunately the paper is obscuring the lovely figure of the birch wood, but the nice thing is it will all start revealing itself as we start carving. Sort of like a little burlesque show for wood weirdos!!! Anyway, I'm looking forward to finishing my part of the spoon so that Laura can start work on this top area.

Here's a close up of the eagle and daffodil section that will mostly be Laura's terrain. We have agreed that I will do one of the daffs and Laura will do the top section of the knots so that our hands (and our styles of working) are present in both sections of the spoon. The pressure will be on me to pull off a nice job on my daff since flowers are one of Laura's specialties! So I'll try to do an over-the-top job on my part of the Celtic knotwork and throw a bit of pressure back the other way!
We're getting close to the really fun part of the project when the carving gets exciting and the spoon really takes shape...stay tuned!
-Dave

2 comments:

  1. Nice work David and Laura. I think cutting that knotwork out with a scroll saw would drive me nuts! Much better to do it with a knife. I guess it's all in what you are used to. What I would like to see is some profile shots of the spoon at various stages. That's something we students of the lovespoon almost never get to see. I know the front is the glamor part, but a lovespoon is, after all, a 3-dimensional object.

    Keep up the good work.

    Bob Tinsley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob

    I think that you might well be the only guy on the planet who feels that way! I definitely take my hat off to you for your tenacity with the knife scrolling!
    I'll see what we can do for some profile pics for you as the spoon develops. There isn't too much to show at the moment, but I will start shaping the back fairly soon, so will have something for you then.
    When Laura gets the spoon next month, she'll go to work on the top section and there should be some opportunity for some profile shots there too.
    Thanks for following along!
    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete