Monday, July 5, 2010

In Memoriam

Bookmark and Share

Many of the woodcarvers who read this blog will have no doubt noticed the Preferred Edge Tool Company advertisement which has run on the sidebar of this blog for the last two years. Owned and operated by master metalcraftsman Mike Komick, Preferred Edge carving knives are the tools of choice for legions of woodcarvers throughout the world and I can think of no finer bent-bladed knives than those made by Mike. Sadly, Mike passed away quite unexpectedly this last weekend.

I am both shocked and deeply saddened by his passing and I know that all in the carving community who knew Mike will feel the same way. A larger than life personality, Mike always had time to discuss tools and carving and was constantly looking for ways to innovate and improve upon the tools we carvers use.

It is a tragic loss for Mike's family that he has left us and I send them my heart-felt condolences. It is also an enormous loss to the carving community who will no longer benefit from his remarkable craftsmanship.
I feel extremely fortunate to have made Mike's acquaintance and will treasure the tools he has made for me over the years.

2 comments:

  1. Dave:

    I am greatly saddened to hear about Mike. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones. He was a great guy and a great knife maker. Every time I called him to order a new knife, we'd chat for a few minutes the classes he held at his place, his knives and the best way to use them. He was a gentleman of the old school, and he is missed.

    Bob Tinsley

    ReplyDelete
  2. HiBob,
    I couldn't agree more and I know that he will be deeply missed by the West Coast carving community!
    I was going to do a carving class for him next summer and he was going to give me a tutorial on sharpening outside-bevel knives, so it is doubly sad that he has passed away. Hopefully, other knife makers will be inspired to pick up where Mike left off and keep the bent knives coming.
    Cheers Bob
    Dave

    ReplyDelete